Sunday, September 19, 2004

Dual Boot blues ...

Or how I was a happy Suse 8.2 user until one day...

Today I decided that a good project would be to archive all my old stuff in my Linux /home directory, and use the 40 gig HDD as a slave to the first, reformat and install Suse 9.0 which I had picked up on CD as a coverdisk from one of those brilliant UK computer mags. My home directory actually topped out at 684 megs so I had to trim a few directories to bring it under, hit burn on K3b and walla, walla... there was my archive. Then the fun began, I looked high and low for the Seagate user manaul so I could determine the correct jumper settings, and it had completely disappeared. Great luckily Seagate prints the jumper settings on a decal on top of the HDD. Western Digital puts theirs on the bottom of the HDD so some quick plier-fu and the drives were set. After getting the drive recognized under Windows and I loaded the Suse 9.0 which was painless enough, until I found out the the configure, make, and other compiling tools had not been installed. Aggghhhh! I had Suse 8.2 tweaked and twiddled until it rand absolutely brillantly. I loved Suse 8.2. This particular install of 9.0 is crap right now until I get the time to do a major overhaul of the installation and install all the missing stuff. Yeesh! Linux is super for customization but it takes a while to get all the stuff the way you want it ...

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP